Start A Rewarding Career With UPI
2020 internship hiring is closed. Please check back in the Fall regarding 2021 opportunities.
UPI is always on the lookout for bright, motivated people to join our team. One way we bring in new talent is through our internship program, which provides the foundation for the continued growth and development of our project management group. We connect with prospective interns through existing relationships and recruiting events at several universities, which include Michigan Tech, North Dakota State University, University of North Dakota, Iowa State University, and University of Minnesota to name a few. We hire several interns and coops (students who spend six months working with us) per year. These young people have the opportunity to participate in meaningful work that substantially contributes to the success of projects across the company. Many return to work with us for several successive years, and we regularly hire former interns and coops into full-time positions after graduation. If you are interested in receiving more information regarding our intern program, please contact us today.
In an effort to expand talent available to our industry, coupled with a desire to increase opportunities for indigenous people to work on our projects, UPI started a training program unique in its history. We partnered with local indigenous tribes to conduct hands-on courses in pipeline construction techniques and safety. 25 tribal members gathered at UPI’s corporate office for two separate, week-long training events in 2017. These training events provided tribal members with the certifications to work in the pipeline industry, whether that be working for UPI or another contractor in our industry. Each training week consisted of a half day safety orientation, focusing on hazards specific to pipeline construction and the environments in which UPI works. The group then moved out to a local gravel pit where UPI personnel had buried several sticks of pipe and set up training stations that focused on mechanical and hydrovac excavation; sandblasting and profile testing; and pipe coating. Participants rotated between stations, trying their hands at the tasks and receiving instruction from some of UPI’s most experienced laborers and operators.
The trainings wrapped up with Operator Qualification tests, the successful completion of which will allow band members to work on any project that takes place on their reservation. Several band members expressed interest in taking the next step and pursuing union membership in order to go to work on pipeline projects, and all the participants provided great feedback that will help UPI plan follow-on events.
These events were a first for UPI but not the last, and their success will pave the way for more initiatives and training events that help UPI reach its broader community.
Join Us Today
United Piping Inc. (UPI) is a leading pipeline construction company in the Midwest. Our success has always been built upon a highly-trained team of experienced professionals.
We empower our people by investing in their development. UPI offers trainings in skills, safety and leadership, as well as certifications. Contact us to learn more.
View all APi Group, Inc. job openings on APi Group, Inc..
The Senior Accountant assists the Corporate Controller in directing the organization's accounting functions including cost, payables, receivables, and reporting. Contributes to the development and maintenance of financial reporting, planning, SOX compliance and budgeting. Ensures that all corporate and required accounting policies and procedures are documented and followed by the organization. Provides input to strategic decisions that affect the accounting teams and the department as whole. This position is expected to take an active leadership role within the accounting team as well as the company overall.
- Degree in accounting, finance, or related field preferred.
- 2 years’ experience in accounting or related field preferred.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Highly skilled in math, accounting, and financial processes.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Detail oriented and highly organized.
- Skilled in time management and the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Advanced skills in MS Excel, including knowledge of pivot tables and v-lookups.
- Proficient in MS Word, Power Point, and Outlook.
- Willing and able to learn new and different software and internet-based platforms.
- Prepares financial statements to summarize and forecast the company’s financial status.
- Assists with the annual financial budget for the company, as well as quarterly updates and projections. Also, would interface with the various divisions in the creation of their quarterly projections and annual divisional budgets.
- Assists with preparations for audits.
- Assist with establishing and maintaining internal controls to prevent inaccuracies in financial statements as well as to maintain SOX compliance.
- Assist in the preparation and review of WIP schedules and related journal entries.
- Reconciles balance sheet accounts on a monthly or quarterly basis.
- Ensures compliance with and prepare reports according to applicable government regulations.
- Uses accounting software to maintain records and prepare reports.
- Coordinates with others and prepares ad hoc reports as needed.
- Conducts and participates in meetings especially related to the accounting processes.
- Other duties as assigned.
APi Group provides competitive compensation and benefits that support the total well-being of you and your family, as well as providing formal learning and development opportunities to continue building great leaders.
See all of our current job openings.