Start A Rewarding Career With UPI
2020 internship hiring is closed. Please check back in the Fall regarding 2021 opportunities.
UPI is always on the lookout for bright, motivated people to join our team. One way we bring in new talent is through our internship program, which provides the foundation for the continued growth and development of our project management group. We connect with prospective interns through existing relationships and recruiting events at several universities, which include Michigan Tech, North Dakota State University, University of North Dakota, Iowa State University, and University of Minnesota to name a few. We hire several interns and coops (students who spend six months working with us) per year. These young people have the opportunity to participate in meaningful work that substantially contributes to the success of projects across the company. Many return to work with us for several successive years, and we regularly hire former interns and coops into full-time positions after graduation. If you are interested in receiving more information regarding our intern program, please contact us today.
In an effort to expand talent available to our industry, coupled with a desire to increase opportunities for indigenous people to work on our projects, UPI started a training program unique in its history. We partnered with local indigenous tribes to conduct hands-on courses in pipeline construction techniques and safety. 25 tribal members gathered at UPI’s corporate office for two separate, week-long training events in 2017. These training events provided tribal members with the certifications to work in the pipeline industry, whether that be working for UPI or another contractor in our industry. Each training week consisted of a half day safety orientation, focusing on hazards specific to pipeline construction and the environments in which UPI works. The group then moved out to a local gravel pit where UPI personnel had buried several sticks of pipe and set up training stations that focused on mechanical and hydrovac excavation; sandblasting and profile testing; and pipe coating. Participants rotated between stations, trying their hands at the tasks and receiving instruction from some of UPI’s most experienced laborers and operators.
The trainings wrapped up with Operator Qualification tests, the successful completion of which will allow band members to work on any project that takes place on their reservation. Several band members expressed interest in taking the next step and pursuing union membership in order to go to work on pipeline projects, and all the participants provided great feedback that will help UPI plan follow-on events.
These events were a first for UPI but not the last, and their success will pave the way for more initiatives and training events that help UPI reach its broader community.
Join Us Today
United Piping Inc. (UPI) is a leading pipeline construction company in the Midwest. Our success has always been built upon a highly-trained team of experienced professionals.
We empower our people by investing in their development. UPI offers trainings in skills, safety and leadership, as well as certifications. Contact us to learn more.
View all APi Group, Inc. job openings on APi Group, Inc..
United Piping Inc. (UPI) is a general contractor, specializing in construction of new and modifications of existing facility and pipeline construction for the oil and gas industry. Our partnered clients choose UPI because we are committed to providing safe, reliable and cost-effective solutions for them. At UPI, we have built a solid reputation for our focus on safety, the environment, quality, and schedule. We continuously improve on our core competencies while further expanding our service offerings to suit our clients' needs.
This full-time position has responsibility to estimate and assist with proposal development and project cost. The estimator will prepare complete cost estimates for construction projects within the oil and gas industry. Duties and responsibilities are broad, varied and often of a complex and confidential nature. The ability to work in a fast-paced and changing environment to meet critical and ongoing deadlines is required. This position will be based out of our Duluth, MN Office
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- A four-year engineering / construction management degree or equivalent combination of technical training and experience preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills and high attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects / activities in a dynamic fast paced environment.
- Ability to work with high level of integrity, using discretion with sensitive and/or confidential information.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Ability to breakdown construction operations into a logical sequence of activities.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, etc.)
Preferred Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficient with scheduling programs including Primavera (P6).
- Experience with electronic bid software, B2W experience desired.
- Previous experience estimating projects into the $5MM range.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represents UPI professionally and is an ambassador for our values of Integrity, Respect, and Caring.
- Follow standardized procedures, methods, and processes for estimating projects.
- Develop accurate and competitive proposals by reviewing proposal documents including scopes of work, drawings, specifications, contracts, etc.
- Prepare estimates by calculating the complete takeoff of the scope of work.
- Coordinate with subcontractors, vendors, suppliers, etc. to provide input in a timely fashion to ensure bids are complete and delivered on time.
- Assess and monitor client and/or subcontractor changes throughout the proposal window.
- Develop technical proposal responses such as execution plans, schedules, and inclusions / exclusions based on the proposal documents.
- Develop commercial responses such as proposal pricing, unit pricing, and subcontractor pricing reviews based on the proposal documents.
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders during the proposal process to ensure Client specifications, quality, safety, schedule requirements, and expectations are met or exceeded.
- Identify risk issues and their order of magnitude within proposal packages.
- Review all final estimate packages with leadership prior to formal proposal submittal, to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Participate in transitioning proposal data to project budgets with internal stakeholders.
- Review and incorporate historical data from past projects, subcontractor costs, productivity reports, etc. into usable figures.
- Develop new and enhanced processes and systems as they pertain to bidding, scheduling, and budget requirements.
- Communicate ideas and implement changes for improving company processes with a positive and constructive attitude.
APi Group provides competitive compensation and benefits that support the total well-being of you and your family, as well as providing formal learning and development opportunities to continue building great leaders.
See all of our current job openings.